Skip to main content

Windowsill Radishes - Day 35 - The Radish (singular) Harvest

So day 35 rolled around and I was still committed to harvesting a radish - curious to see how it's grown. I decided to pull the radish that was already more exposed above the soil first. I had no idea how much of the radish was actually below the soil. Have a scroll through the images below to see the harvest. I suppose I should really be putting harvest in quotations. "Harvest." But after plucking the radish from the dirt, my first observation was, "wow, this radish is pretty small." But upon closer inspection and after cleaning off the dirt and stray roots, I got a sense that the radish was plumping up below the dirt. I think I probably should have let it grow longer but hey, my curiosity got the better of me and plus the seed packet said matures in 29 days. I'll be writing up another post to talk about the taste of the radish and the radish greens. But after plucking the radish, I have committed to leaving the other radish growing for at least another five days. Perhaps since the pot now only has a single radish plant growing it may be able to get a bit larger. 


Before the harvest - day 35
Before the harvest - day 35

Pulling out the radish
Pulling out the radish

Here it is...
Here it is...

Close-up shot of the radish
Close-up shot of the radish

The radish cleaned up
The radish cleaned up

Close-up shot of the cleaned radish
Close-up shot of the cleaned radish

Radish in my hand for scale
Radish in my hand for scale

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Celery from my Refrigerator and Watching it Flower/Bloom

Have you ever had celery in the refrigerator so long to the point where it becomes link and bends from it's own weight? I had one of those recently. The celery itself still looked "good" in the sense it was green. It wasn't rotting or brown or disgusting. Perhaps some might find limp celery gross. I was determined not to just have to toss out the celery and attempt to revive it in a cup of water. I grabbed a mug, filled it with a little bit of water, and plunked the flimsy celery in.  After a few days the celery had plumped up and became firm again. But of course after it had reached a point where it was edible, I wasn't in the mood for celery. I left the celery in the mug for a week or so while adding water. One day I removed the celery to rinse it off a bit under the faucet and surprisingly I observed some roots growing from the bottom of the stalks. Interested, I decided to let the plant grow as opposed to eating it. I eventually moved it to a sunny window from...

Windowsill Radishes - Day 15

Finally made it to posting about the current day's progress on the day of! The radish plants' growth appears to really be taking off now. I expect I'll start seeing large amounts of growth each day from here on out. I'm really excited to see if bulbs will start forming. That likely won't be for another week or two though (maybe longer). The second set of true leaves on the left plant are definitely apparent in these images. The leaves just look so nice and I'm really enjoying observing the growth each day. Perhaps the next step for me would be doing a time lapse video of growth.

Windowsill Radishes - Day 18

The plants as of 5/2/2020 reached 18 days of growth. That growth has been impressive to me at least. I'm new to growing radishes except I think back in elementary we grew a few radish seeds in a Styrofoam cup of dirt as a science experiment. From what I've read online, I may be looking to fertilize the plants soon. The second set of true leaves have now reached about the same size as the first set were on Day 12. Here's the photos from Day 18.